Parks and Recreation Events
Mayor Dennis P. Williams and Director Claude W. McCrea, Jr. invite you to participate in the following Department of Parks and Recreation events:
2014 Green Jobs Program
The Green Jobs program is a 6-week employment program for City of Wilmington residents that provides participants with hands-on outdoor environmental work, career exploration, exposure to environmental issues, and a mentoring component. Participants who are 14 to 18 years old will work 25 hours per week and earn minimum wage.
Call 576-3810 for more information regarding this program.
- Registration: Mid March to April
- Intern Selection: May
- Program Start/End Dates: July 1 through August 8
ACTIVITIES MAY INCLUDE
- Surveying mussels in the Brandywine Creek
- Planting gardens
- Sprucing up parks
- Removing invasive plants
- Searching for aquatic life called “macroinvertebrates”
2014 PROGRAM HOSTS
- City of Wilmington’s Departments of Parks and Recreation and Public Works
- Delaware Center for Horticulture
- Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC)
- Delaware Nature Society
- Nature Conservancy
- Partnership for the Delaware Estuary
- The Challenge Program
- University of Delaware’s Water Resources Agency
Keeping Our Community Safe
Applicants must complete the application provided by the City of Wilmington Department of Parks and Recreation. Call Shawn R. Baker at 576-3828.
At the first class for recertification and for first-time certification, candidates must be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Swim 8 lengths of the pool without stopping
- Tread water using their feet only for 2 minutes
- Climb out of the pool without a ladder
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 10 feet of water to retrieve a 10 pound brick starting in the deep end of the pool
Option 1: Recertification
Sunday, May 4 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Recertification candidates must be able to demonstrate at the end of class the ability to:
- Pass a written exam with a score of 80% or higher
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a team setting while mastering land- and water-based scenarios
- Perform CPR on an adult, child, and infant
Option 2: First-time Certification
Registration Deadline: April 4
- Wednesday, April 9 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 22 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 23 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 24 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Registration Deadline: April 25
- Wednesday, April 30 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 16 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 17 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 18 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
2013 Fall-Winter Recreational Sites
OCTOBER 28, 2013 - APRIL 17, 2014
A free program of recreational, educational and cultural activities for ages 8 - 17.
MONDAY through THURSDAY
5:45 - 9:00 p.m.
Bayard Middle School, 200 South Dupont Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19805
5:45 - 9:00 p.m.
William C. Lewis Dual Language Elementary School, 920 North Van Buren Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19806
6:15 - 9:00 p.m.
P.S. duPont Middle School, 701 West 34th Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19802
5:45 - 9:15 p.m.
Southbridge Neighborhood House, 1218 B Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19801
6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Warner Elementary School, 801 West 18th Street, Wilmington, DE 19802
MONDAY through FRIDAY
5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
PALW (Police Athletic League of Wilmington) Center, 3707 North Market Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19802
MONDAY and FRIDAY
6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Elbert-Palmer Elementary School, 1210 Lobdell Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19801
TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY
6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Bancroft Elementary School, East 7th Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19801
WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Frederick Douglass Stubbs School, 1100 North Pine Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19801
For more information contact Shawn R. Baker at (302) 576-3810.
“In accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, state and federal law, no person or group shall be excluded from participation, denied any benefits, or subjected to discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, handicap, and/or disability.” General complaints or inquiries should be directed to: Affirmative Action Officer (302-576-2460); and, persons with disabilities may contact, 504 Coordinator (302-576-2460), City of Wilmington, Department of Human Resources, 4th Floor, 800 French Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19801. TTY is available at (302) 571-4568 or 1-800-232-5460.”
Contact Parks & Rec
Department of Parks & Recreation
City of Wilmington Municipal Services Complex
500 Wilmington Avenue
Wilmington DE 19801
Phone: (302) 576-3810
Fax: (302) 573-5790
Parks Maintenance: (302) 576-3820
Contact William "Hicks" Anderson Community Center
501 N. Madison Street
Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone: (302) 571-4266