Learning for Life Fire Service Guidelines
- Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel.
- Explorers must be equipped with personal protective equipment that is appropriate for the activity being done.
- Explorers may be mobilized as a post, with required leadership. Explores are not to be on call as individuals.
- Explores who ride on fire apparatus or other fire department vehicles must be seated and must wear a seat belt.
- Explorers may not drive fire department vehicles.
- Explorers may not climb aerial ladders.
- Explorers may not climb ground ladders that exceed 35 feet in length, or not supported against a structure.
- Explores may not enter or perform ventilation procedures on a burning structure.
- Explorers may not use any tools or gloves on energized electrical equipment.
- Explorers may not operate cutting torches.
- Explorers may not operate hydraulic rescue tools and equipment.
- Explorers may not handle life nets.
The use of aerial ladders with the appropriate safety equipment, and entering a controlled burning building is approved when that training is conducted at an official training facility.
Contact Explorer Post 100
Chief Anthony S. Goode
Wilmington Fire Department
Emergency Operations Center
22 S. Heald Street
Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone: (302) 576-3950
Fax: (302) 571-4039