The City of Wilmington has been a proud partner of Recyclebank® since 2006.
How Does It Work?
A resident signs up for the Recyclebank® program and receives a recycle container with wheels. On scheduled recycling days, when the Recyclebank® truck picks-up the container, it is weighed and a bar code associated with the residence is scanned. Participants are then credited a certain dollar amount for every pound of recyclables they provide.
Trash and Recyclables Collection Schedule
Preparing Your Recyclables
- Place all recyclables materials into the Recyclebank® bin.
- Any used food containers should be cleaned before placing them in the bin.
- Cans must be placed for pick-up before 4:00 a.m. on the day of collection, but not before 6:00 p.m. on the day before collection.
- Cans must be removed no later than 6:00 p.m. on the day trash is collected.
- Each can and its contents must weigh less than 50 pounds.
What Goes IN Your Recycle Bin
- PLASTICS: Plastic food and beverage containers. Look for the recycling symbol on the container with the number 1, 2, 4, 5 or 7 in the triangle
- PAPER: Newspapers, magazines, brochures, junk mail, greeting cards, phone books, paper back books, file folders, office paper, folded or crushed paper bags
- CARDBOARD: Corrugated boxes, cardboard beverage carriers, dry food cartons and boxes, paper towel and toilet tissue rolls
- CANS: Aluminum, metal cans, metal jar lids, steel bottle caps, foil
- GLASS: Bottles and jars (without tops), food containers, beverage containers
What Stays OUT of Your Recycle Bin (and goes into your trash):
- PLASTICS: Styrofoam, hard plastics with no number (like patio chairs), plastic bags, plastic film, VCR tapes, electronics (phones and computers), take-out food Styrofoam containers, plant containers
- PAPER: Shredded paper, waxed paper, stickers, labels
- CARDBOARD: Waxed cardboard, take-out food containers, greasy pizza boxes
- CANS: Paint cans, scrap metal, oil and cleansers, electronic waste, batteries
- GLASS: Mirrors, window panes, ceramics, Pyrex dishware, glass
Keep all of your recyclables LOOSE in the bin – do not put them in any kind of bag (even paper bags).
For further questions on what can or can't be recycled, or any questions about the Recyclebank® program, visit https://www.recyclebank.com or call 1-888-727-2978.