Wilmington Mayor James M. Baker and Cultural Affairs Director Tina Betz today announced the return of the City’s July 4th celebration to the Wilmington Riverfront. This year’s event, titled “The Red, White, and Blue July 4th Celebration,” will be held on Wednesday, July 4 in Tubman-Garrett Park and along the Riverwalk, which extends all the way to the DuPont Environmental Education Center.
Schedule of Events
ALL DAY ACTIVITIES
4th of July Riverfront Scavenger Hunt
Sponsored by the Riverfront Development Corporation
Win valuable prizes! Download the official entry form here or pick one up at the Delaware Children’s Museum, DuPont Environmental Education Center or any Riverfront restaurant on July 4th, 2012.
Grand Prize Winner receives:
- Brandywine Treasure Trail Passport for 2 adults and up to 3 children
- Discoverers Membership at Delaware Children’s Museum
- Overnight stay at a Downtown Wilmington hotel
- Choice of 2-$25 Gift Cards to the following Riverfront Restaurants: Harry's Seafood Grill, Timothy's Riverfront Grill, Ubon Thai Cuisine, Big Fish Grill on the Riverfront, and FireStone Roasting House.
All Scavenger Hunt Booklets may be returned to the Children's Tent at Tubman-Garrett Park anytime after 4pm.
Grand prize winner will be selected at random at 8:15pm. Winner does not need to be present at the time of the drawing.
Independence Day Meal Deals at Participating Riverfront Restaurants
- Harry’s Seafood Grill: 10% off lunch from 11 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- UBON Jeenwong's Thai Cuisine: will be open 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Timothy’s Riverfront Grill: half-price build your own burgers all day long!
- Big Fish Grill: Face painting, Balloon Artist, and Water Ice and Live Music on the patio from 5-9pm.
- FireStone: Face painting & Balloon artist on the deck with cotton candy & water ice and sparklers for kids. Bands will be on the deck from 5-9pm plus a DJ.
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Delaware Children’s Museum (with purchase of DCM admission)
- Fourth of July “Block” Party, story time, patriotic parade and more!
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
DuPont Environmental Education Center (admission free)
- Meet the live marsh animals, craft, letter boxing and pond netting.
2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
$1.00 River Taxi Rides
- A fun-filled way to take in Wilmington’s riverfront and enjoy a guided river tour of the area’s highlights!
4:00 p.m. - 9:45 p.m.
Free RED, WHITE, and BLUE CELEBRATION FAMILY FUN (Tubman-Garrett Park)
- Games, rides, entertainment, arts and crafts, historical characters
- Variety of food vendors including July 4th favorites, Captain Steve’s Hard Shell Crabs and Fat Rick's BBQ
- Show off your eating skills and sign up for the Buffalo Wild Wings wing eating contest; ShopRite’s pie eating contest; and the watermelon eating contest. Eight contestants will be eligible for each contest. The winner of each contest will receive a gift card.
8:30 p.m. – 9:45 p.m.
Maestro David Amado and the Delaware Symphony Orchestra
- Enjoy a 75-minute grand finale concert of patriotic and seasonal musical selections
- Spectacular Riverfront Fireworks Display!
In the event of rain on July 4th, the fireworks and Delaware Symphony Orchestra concert will be rescheduled for July 5th.
- Riverfront Parking Deck at the Amtrak Station - $5 flat rate – enter after 3:30 p.m. and exit by 10:30 p.m.
- Barclay’s surface parking lot on West & Water Streets - Entrance and Exit 3 – 11 p.m. – Free
- Amtrak Train Station Parking Garage (on MLK) - $ 4.00 Entrance & Exit: 3 – 11 p.m.
- Surface Lot @ French and Rosa Parks Drive: Handicap, Staff & Performer Parking Only (must display proper authorization) – enter after 3 p.m. and exit by 11 p.m.
Please note the following road closures associated with the July 4th Celebration:
CLOSED All Day on July 4th
- Rosa Parks Drive
- Water Street between West and S. Market Street
CLOSED at 7 P.M.
- S. Market Street
CLOSED at 9 P.M.
These streets will be closed to residents and businesses as well as the general public; the streets will re-open to all traffic around 11 p.m. ALL Lanes after fireworks will be exit only.
- West Street
- Justison Street
- Madison Street
- Beech Street
- Brown Town Truck Route
- South Walnut Street