Join Our Team
The Department of Human Resources is currently recruiting for the following position(s). Click on the job title to read the description and to apply online.
FIRE PLANS REVIEWER
- Type:Open Competitive
- Salary/Pay Rate:P - $53,487 to $64,644 annually
- Posted Date:06/23/2020
- Deadline to Apply:07/08/2020 4:30 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT NO.: 3159001
DEPARTMENT: Fire (Fire Marshal’s Office)
- Working under the direction of the Fire Marshal, this position is involved in conducting on-site protection surveys and inspections and reviewing new construction, additions and renovation plans for compliance with state and local regulations relative to life safety and fire protection.
- Reviews and approves plans, prints, and specifications of complex structure and fire protection systems to ensure compliance with the Delaware State Fire Prevention Regulations. (DSFPR), City of Wilmington, and associated NFPA codes.
- Advises clients, including architects, engineers, contractors, developers, and the general public in formulating compliance plans with DSFPR and associated NFPA codes.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts plan reviews, risk analyses, building inspections and analyzes fire hazards.
- Assists the Fire Marshal with plan reviews, code enforcement, and new construction inspections.
- Advises and assists private and public organizations and military services for purpose of safety against fire, explosion and related hazards.
- Conducts studies of industrial, mercantile, buildings, homes and other property before and after construction, considering factors such as fire resistance of construction, usage or contents of buildings, water supplies and delivery, and egress facilities, and makes recommendations for materials, equipment, installation, and maintenance.
- Conducts field inspections for construction projects within the City of Wilmington, checking for compliance with codes.
- Coordinates plan review requirements with Fire Marshal code enforcement inspectors.
- Coordinates plan review meetings.
- Communicates, meets, and works with members of other City departments to ensure that all codes are met, and permits and licenses are obtained prior to issuing Fire Marshal approval.
- Does other work as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Fire Protection Engineering or Safety Management and/or five (5) years equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must obtain NFPA Certification as a Certified Building Plans Examiner (CBPE) within one year of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Ability to understand architectural and fire protection plans and specifications.
- Ability to interpret the Delaware State Fire Prevention regulations and associated NFPA codes.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and maintain effective relationships with architects, engineers, contractors, developers and the general public.
- Must have thorough knowledge of and the ability to operate and inspect fire alarm and sprinkler systems and other fire suppression devices.
- Must be able to make quick, accurate decisions.
- This position requires working both in a normal office environment and in the field.
- Must be able to sit on a stool and stand for purposes of reviewing blueprints at a drafting table.
- Must be able to lift 50lb rolls of blueprints.
- The employee is frequently required to walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
Must pass a criminal background investigation, pre-employment physical and drug test.
City residency required within six months of employment.
Applying online is the faster and easier way to apply for a City job. However, printed applications are available. Visit the Louis L. Redding City/County Building lobby located at 800 N. French Street to pick up a copy.