Mayor Purzycki Invites Citizens to 43rd Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade
The Irish Culture Club of Delaware will cap off the afternoon with its Hooley near 15th and King Streets Downtown
Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki invites citizens to attend the Irish Culture Club of Delaware’s 43rd Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Hooley on Saturday, March 10. The Mayor, who today joined club members and Police Chief Robert Tracy in painting the ceremonial green stripe at 11th and King Streets, is pleased to announce that he will again join community leaders from across the city and the state in the annual parade celebration.
The parade kicks off at Noon, at 4th and King Streets in downtown Wilmington. It will proceed up King Street, continue past a Grandstand at Rodney Square, and end near 14th Street where the Post-Parade Hooley will be held. The Parade is expected to take about one hour and the Hooley will continue until 4 p.m.
“This is a wonderful City tradition that I am happy to be a part of,” said Mayor Purzycki. “The Irish have strong roots in Wilmington dating back to the 16th Century, and this unique, tight-knit community continues to thrive today. I encourage Wilmingtonians and all Delawareans to come Downtown for the parade and party, and take some time to visit our many other attractions and restaurants while you’re in the area.”
Road closures associated with this event will begin at approximately 10 a.m. and continue until about 3 p.m. Roadway restrictions are as follows:
- King Street from East 3rd Street to East 15th Street
- East 4th Street from Walnut to Market Street
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Streets, from King to Market Street
- 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Streets, from French to Market Street
- Vehicular traffic will also be diverted at 18th Street and 19th Street at Market to North Park Drive
Parking is prohibited during the Parade on the following streets:
- On 10th Street, from Orange Street to Shipley Street
- On Shipley Street, from 10th Street to 2nd Street
- On the 900 block of Orange Street
- On 8th Street at Shipley Street
DART will be detouring buses around the Parade route. Please check their website at http://dartfirststate.com/ for more information.
To learn more about the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Hooley, please contact Jim Mallon at 302-454-7474, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
News and information from the Office of Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki
Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy and Communications
Mobile: (302) 420-7928
Paul Ford Jr.
Mobile: (302) 530-2171
Digital & Social Media Manager
Mobile: (302) 605-0026