The City of Wilmington requires permits for the following:
- New structures
- Changes to existing structures, including demolition
- Repairs, including electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work
This page details all requirements that apply within the City of Wilmington.
The Development Review Process Step-by-Step Guide summarizes the key steps to obtaining all permits and approvals needed to construct, improve, or demolish a building in conformance with local and state policies and regulations. The project applicant pays for the costs of this review process through permit and inspection fees, a list of which is included at the end of the Step-by-Step Guide.
CHECKLISTS, APPLICATIONS & FORMS
Public Works Review
- Department Of Public Works Submission Guidelines And Checklist
- Sewer Permit Application (contact Public Works for application; online permit coming soon)
- Street Closure Application
- Water/Sewer/Stormwater Submittal Form
- Design Review and Preservation Commission – if within Historic District
Fire Protection Review
RELEVANT CITY CODE
Building and Construction
2012 ICC Codes Adopted in 2014 and Amendments
- International Building Code 2012
- International Mechanical Code 2012
- International Plumbing Code 2012
- International Residential Code 2012
Current Delaware State Fire Prevention Regulations (adopted March 11, 2016)
These short documents are designed to provide guidance to applicants. Each interpretation document answers a specific question in an effort to offer clarity. These interpretations serve as professional commentary to the adopted City of Wilmington codes and accepted practices. Please bear in mind that each project is unique and may include elements that make the guidelines presented here inapplicable. The City Code is the primary authority, and in case of any inconsistency between these code interpretation summaries and either the Code or regulations enacted under the Code, the Code should be followed.