Clean Waterways Wilmington

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Enhancing the quality of the city’s urban waterways

Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit

NPDES permit DE 0051071/State Permit WPCC 3063A/96 was issued by the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) on May 7, 2013 (effective date). This permit authorizes the Principal Permittees (New Castle County and the Delaware Department of Transportation or DelDOT) and the Co-permittees (towns of Bellefonte, Elsmere, and Newport and the cities of Delaware City, New Castle, and Wilmington) to discharge stormwater from their municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4).

As part of the permit requirements, the principal permittees must develop and submit to DNREC a Stormwater Pollution Prevent and Management Plan (SWPP&MP) in conjunction with all co-permittees, or the City of Wilmington may develop their own SWPP&MP. The SWPP&MP shall be designed to control the quality of the stormwater discharged from the MS4 and must address all requirements set forth in the permit, contain measurable goals and describe the controls necessary to efficiently prohibit the discharge into the MS4 of any materials other than stormwater.

The SWPP&MP shall outline measures that will reduce the discharge of pollutants from the MS4 and shall also include a schedule for implementation.

The City has opted to develop and implement a SWPP&MP independent of the principal permittees. The City's SWPP&MP can be accessed via the links below.

Read the New Castle County/DelDOT Phase I Permit Fact Sheet

Read the Storm Water Pollution Prevention and Management Program permit and program requirements

Read the Stormwater Pollution Prevention and Management Program (SWPP&MP) Plan

Help Keep Wilmington's Waterways Clean

(302) STOPPIT - Water Pollution Prevention Hotline

  • Visit and fill out an online form; or
  • Call or send a text message to (302) STOPPIT (302-786-7748) with the location and details; or
  • Email with the location and details.

Report Waterway Issues Online

  • Call (302) 576-3878. Operators are on duty 6:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Visit the Submit a Request for Service portal to report non-emergency requests for service online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer