Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit
NPDES permit DE 0051071/State Permit WPCC 3063A/96 was issued by the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) on May 7, 2013 (effective date). This permit authorizes the Principal Permittees (New Castle County and the Delaware Department of Transportation or DelDOT) and the Co-permittees (towns of Bellefonte, Elsmere, and Newport and the cities of Delaware City, New Castle, and Wilmington) to discharge stormwater from their municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4).
As part of the permit requirements, the principal permittees must develop and submit to DNREC a Stormwater Pollution Prevent and Management Plan (SWPP&MP) in conjunction with all co-permittees, or the City of Wilmington may develop their own SWPP&MP. The SWPP&MP shall be designed to control the quality of the stormwater discharged from the MS4 and must address all requirements set forth in the permit, contain measurable goals and describe the controls necessary to efficiently prohibit the discharge into the MS4 of any materials other than stormwater.
The SWPP&MP shall outline measures that will reduce the discharge of pollutants from the MS4 and shall also include a schedule for implementation.
The City has opted to develop and implement a SWPP&MP independent of the principal permittees. The City's SWPP&MP can be accessed via the links below.
Help Keep Wilmington's Waterways Clean
(302) STOPPIT - Water Pollution Prevention Hotline
- Visit www.302STOPPIT.org and fill out an online form; or
- Call or send a text message to (302) STOPPIT (302-786-7748) with the location and details; or
- Email hotline@302STOPPIT.org with the location and details.
Report Waterway Issues Online
- Call (302) 576-3878. Operators are on duty 6:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Visit the Submit a Request for Service portal to report non-emergency requests for service online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.