Home Repair Loan Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
real estate & housing

The Department of Real Estate and Housing is pleased to work with city property owners to improve their homes and neighborhoods through the federally-assisted Home Repair Loan Program.    

Who is Eligible

Owner occupants of single-family dwellings whose family income falls within the low- to moderate-income guidelines are shown below:

Effective 06/01/2018 
FY 2018 Median Family Income: 80% LIMITS 
1 Person - $48,950 5 Person - $75,500
2 Person - $55,950 6 Person - $81,100
3 Person - $62,950 7 Person - $86,700
4 Person - $69,900 8 Person - $92,300


Applicants must live in and hold the deed to the property they wish to have repaired in order to be eligible for assistance under this program. Applicants must have owned their properties for a minimum of 12 months. City and county property taxes and water and sewer bills must be in good standing.

What's Eligible

Heating, roofing, plumbing, electrical, handicapped facilities where needed, and any condition where an emergency need exists to provide safe and decent living quarters.

Loan Terms

Loan terms are tailored to the financial status of the borrower. All loans are secured with a mortgage against the borrower's property.

Amount of Loan

Loan amounts will be based on the cost of rehabilitation work necessary to bring an emergency repair need up to code.

How to Apply

Download the Home Repair Loan Program Application.

Complete the application and return it to:

City of Wilmington Department of Real Estate and Housing
Louis L. Redding City/County Building
800 N. French Street, 7th Floor
Wilmington, Delaware 19801-3537

Once the application has been processed, you will be contacted to schedule a financial interview. If you are contacted, you must bring these documents with you to your interview:

  • Deed to property
  • Fire/Homeowner's insurance policy
  • Your most recent Federal 1040 tax form
  • Any documents pertaining to unemployment, welfare, social security, and/or pension benefits
  • Any records of installment and credit card accounts (e.g. car payment book)
  • Property tax bill
  • Gas, electric, water, telephone, and cable TV bills
  • Proof of income of anyone living in your property (i.e. recent pay stubs or social security statement)
  • Any other information you feel may be helpful in processing your application