I. Eligibility Requirements
Do you live within the City of Wilmington boundaries? Find out by:
In order to be considered for a scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a resident of the City of Wilmington (proof of residency required).
- Be a graduating high school senior and have been accepted into an accredited college or university.
- Have graduated from high school with a cumulative 2.5 or greater GPA.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to their community.
- Possess leadership qualities.
II. Application Procedure
All components of the scholarship application packet must be submitted together; otherwise, it will be regarded as an incomplete application and will not be considered. The components include:
- Completed scholarship application;
- Proof of City of Wilmington residency (copy of Driver’s License or State Issued Identification);
- Sealed high school transcript (including overall GPA);
- Completed essay;
- Completed FAFSA form;
- Copy of college or university acceptance letter;
- Three (3) letters of reference. On business letterhead (if applicable) and written by individuals who are not relatives. References should be closely involved with your education or employment. Letters should be sealed in an envelope, addressed to the Office of the Mayor, and should not be opened by the applicant. All reference letters are to remain confidential.
Return your completed application packet to:
Office of the Mayor
800 North French Street, 9th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801
Attn: Cheryl Mitchell
III. Selection Procedure
Your completed application packet must be received by the Office of the Mayor on or before April 28, 2017. Applications will not be accepted after the established deadline. The City of Wilmington will review all applications and may choose to interview the finalists.
Incomplete applications, those who do not meet minimum qualifications, or those who do not follow the formatting guidelines will not be considered. The decision of the selection committee is final and not subject to appeal. Scholarship winners will be notified by phone, email, or mail after the selection committee has made its decisions. Scholarship winners give the City of Wilmington the right to publish their essay, in whole or in part, on the City website and in press-related materials.
Scholarship awards range from $500 to $2,000.