- The State of Delaware authorizes the City of Wilmington to have a traffic light signal violation monitoring program. The red-light camera program operates in accordance with Wilmington City Code, Sec. 37-95(b).
- The initial fine is $110. If not paid within 21 days, a $10 penalty will be applied on days 21, 45 and 90 after the ticket issuance date. The maximum fine including penalties is $140.
- A written appeal must be filed within 21 days of the initial notice. The written appeal must be sent to the City of Wilmington, P.O. Box 15404, Wilmington, DE 19850-5404.
- You will be assigned a case by the State of Delaware Justice of the Peace (JP) Court. You will receive a summons via U.S. mail advising you of the date and time of your hearing. If you are found liable or plead responsible, you will be assessed a court cost of $35.00 in addition to the amount of the ticket.
- You may submit a notarized affidavit to the City of Wilmington, providing the name and address of the person driving the vehicle at the time of the violation. The records will be updated to reflect this change, however, if the driver of the vehicle does not pay the citation, the owner of the vehicle is ultimately responsible for the outstanding ticket.
- Weather is not considered a valid defense. A responsible driver is expected to maintain control of his/her vehicle at all times regardless of the road conditions.
A large truck was in front of me and I did not see the light change. Why am I held responsible for a violation?A responsible driver is expected to maintain a safe following distance at all times.
- Vehicles must stop at a red-light before entering the intersection. The intersection may be marked by a sign or a stop bar on the pavement.
- Right turns at red-lights are permitted at some, but not all, intersections. If a right turn is permitted, the vehicle must come to a complete stop prior to entering the intersection, and then may proceed when safe to do so.
- Each violation notice includes the website information to view a video of the violation. After viewing the video, you may either pay the fine or appeal the violation in JP (Justice of the Peace) Court.
I appealed a citation, but after receiving the summons, I would rather pay the fine instead of going to court. How should I proceed?After a citation has been appealed, it is in the JP Court’s jurisdiction. You may contact the court indicated on your summons and discuss payment options with the court.
- Red-light camera violations are civil offenses and, therefore, are not reported to insurance companies. If the fine is not paid with the City of Wilmington, your ability to register a vehicle or renew a vehicle registration could be blocked until all fines are paid. If you appeal a violation with the Court and do not appear for your court date or do not fulfill a payment agreement with the Court, a judgment could be entered against you and your driver’s license could be suspended.