Preparing and Placing Your Trash:
- Place in the trash only those items that will spoil or cannot be recycled.
- Close and tie trash bags, place bags in metal or heavy plastic cans, and secure with water-tight lids.
- Be sure each trash can and its contents weigh less than 50 pounds.
- Place trash cans curbside between 6:00 p.m. the day before collection and 4:00 a.m. the day of collection.
- Remove trash cans from curb no later than 6:00 p.m. on the day of collection.
Special pickup is required for items exceeding 50 pounds or items unable to fit in trash cans. Call the Public Works Call Center at (302) 576-3878 to schedule a special pickup.
Such items may include mattresses, furniture, appliances (refrigerator doors must be removed), rugs, clothes, and six or more bags of leaves or grass cuttings.
Yard waste is collected on recycling days. Do not combine with trash.
From November 15 to March 15, sanitation workers do not make collections in bad weather. If your collection is canceled as a result, it will be made the following day if weather permits.
Trash & Recycling Collection Schedule