The following list of parking tips is intended to be a helpful guide to understanding the most commonly encountered parking issues in the City of Wilmington. It is not intended to cover every possible scenario, nor is it meant as a substitute for City Code. To review parking regulations in their entirety, access the City Code here. For those who do not have access to the Internet, please call the Office of Constituent Services at (302) 576-2489.
Email addresses listed below are NOT case sensitive, but are presented with some capital letters for style purposes only.
General Parking Tips
- Have coins available to pay the meter.
- Insert coins into the meter immediately after you park and exit your vehicle.
- Meters accept nickels, dimes, and quarters. Parking rates are posted on each meter. You may purchase 15 minutes of parking for a quarter, 6 minutes of parking for a dime, and 3 minutes of parking for a nickel. You may park at a meter for up to two hours.
- Upon parking, familiarize yourself with posted street signage regarding parking restrictions/limitations. Street signage governing parking rules on a block (such as street cleaning times) may appear anywhere on the block, and familiarizing yourself with signage requires looking up and down the entire block on the side where you’re parked, particularly if you don’t see any sign where you are parked. The City is required to post signs along a block so that citizens are informed about parking rules/restrictions. The City makes every effort to check frequently for signs that have been removed or have become damaged. If you park on the block and feel that signage may be missing or inadequate, please notify the Office of Constituent Services through CityHelp@WilmingtonDE.gov or call (302) 576-2489.
- Do not park farther than 12 inches from the curb.
- Once you park, make sure that all four wheels of your vehicle are touching the street surface. You will receive a parking ticket if a tire is sitting on the curb or sidewalk.
- Parking is prohibited within 20 feet of a crosswalk or intersection.
- Parking is prohibited within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
- Parking is prohibited in bus stops or loading zones. Loading zones are reserved for commercial vehicles only.
- Do not block driveways; you may be ticketed AND towed. Vehicles are prohibited from parking within three feet of either side of a driveway.
- Do not park in a handicap space (designated by a blue meter) unless you have a valid, properly displayed handicap plate or placard.
- To pay a parking ticket online, please visit www.WilmingtonParkingTickets.com. All major credit cards are accepted including American Express. Parking tickets paid online within 48 hours of issuance are eligible for a $10 discount.
- To pay a parking ticket in person, please visit the Customer Service Center on the 1st floor of the Redding City/County Building at 800 North French Street, Wilmington, 19801 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. Cash, check, Master Card, Visa or Discover are accepted, but American Express is not accepted.
- To pay a parking ticket by telephone, call (302) 571-4320 and select option #4 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. A City Customer Service representative will assist you with your payment. Only MasterCard, Visa and Discover are accepted for phone payments.